This week I did an assay that involved platting to cell types at once. The 96 plate well was divided between SW480 cells and MCF7. The cells were grown and then read by the plate readers at densities of 10,000-80,000, counting by intervals of 10,000. This week was dedicated to running one experiment using the cancer cells and adding acetone to them. The cancer cells were grown over a 96 hour period and monitored daily. The point of the prolonged growing period was to find the point at which the cancer switched from relying on glucose to trying to leach energy from the ketones in the media.
We found that MCF7 cells respond quicker to the lack of glucose whereas SW480 cells are more resilient. Therefore, on Friday I began platting SW480 cells individually so that next week we could run a new assay on just those cells. This week I also had to process the data and code it. All the assays had to be graphed, analyzed and stored using a code developed by Dr. Pincus.
An unfortunate set back this week was that the plate reader broke on Monday before we could use it. The plate reader is used to analyze the OD of the cell wells. The OD is the optical density and is used to record the quantity of cells in each plate.
This week focused heavily on cancer cells. Next week will be spent cultivating fibroblast cells.