This week I spent a lot of time mixing different solutions and stocks. On Monday I created a batch of PBS solution. PBS stands for Phosphate-buffered saline and it is used to maintain the pH of the cells. The cells that I incubate and use in the future would be suspended in PBS.
On Tuesday I began to grow fibroblast cells. Fibroblast cells are non cancerous cells and are the most common cells in the body. In the experiment, they will be used as the control. I grew them in a dish.
Wednesday and Thursday were very similar. On both days I created solutions of cells. I am currently using colon cells and they are very small and plentiful. I had to calculate the number of cells per milliliter and then dilute accordingly. I tried a ratio of 1:2, 1:3, and 1:4 of cells to PBS solution. I found that the ideal ratio of cells to work with was 1:3.
On Friday I began growing cells for my Monday assay. I used a 96 well plate and grew cells at densities of 1000, 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000, 25,000, and 30,000. This was done with the colon cancer cells. I then placed the cells in the incubator because they require a minimum 48 hour growth period.
Overall, a lot of what I did this week was in preparation for the experiment next week. Next week I will be running cell assays on the cancer cells. Assay is a method by which to assess the cytotoxicity of a mater. It is used to calculate how many cells are dead or alive in the solution and whether or not that solution can be used for further experimentation.