Since my last time at the lab 5 months ago, lots of progress had been done on the experiment, as we are now beginning the subject recruitment phase.
On Monday I finished up hours of online ethics training, and was finally set to join the lab. On Tuesday I was caught up to speed with everything going on through the weekly lab meeting. I learned about all the experiments occurring in Dr. Chan’s lab, including the sensory substitution study. One of the lead researchers in the sensory substitution study, Ji Won, unveiled her new auditory testing method that we were able to try out for ourselves. After giving her feedback on her test, the lab meeting wrapped up and I was able to get a closer look into the main research study with the other lead researcher, Giles. He let me test out his upgraded sensory substitution technology and answered questions I had on the current lab report.
On Wednesday I moved into my desk space next to Giles, who introduced me to the MatLab code behind the experimental tests. He explained some of the more complicated code while teaching me how to edit some of the simpler mistakes. After an in-depth discussion on implicit association tests and the different fields of neuroscience, I headed home to edit the code some more.
On Thursday and Friday I spent some more time exploring the code, while also checking out related studies sent to me by Giles.
While this first week was mostly logistical, I was able to get a good idea of what I’ll be doing over these next few months. I cannot wait to share more details on the progress of my study!